1) The bandage was wound around the wound.
2) The farm was used to produce produce.
3) The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.
4) We must polish the Polish furniture.
5) He could lead if he would get the lead out.
6) The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.
7) Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was
time to present the present.
8) A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.
9) When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.
10) I did not object to the object.
11) The insurance was invalid for the invalid.
12) There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row .
13) They were too close to the door to close it.
14) The buck does funny things when the does are present.
15) A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.
16) To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.
17) The wind was too strong to wind the sail.
18) Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.
19) I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.
20) How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
Letís face it - English is a crazy language. There is no egg
nor ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
werenít invented in England nor French fries in France.
candies while sweetbreads, which arenít sweet, are meat. We
take English for
granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that
quicksand can work
slowly, boxing rings are square and a guinea pig is neither
from Guinea nor
is it a pig.
And why is it that writers write but fingers donít fing,
grocers donít groce
and hammers donít ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why
isnít the plural
of booth, beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So one moose, 2 meese? One
indices? Doesnít it seem crazy that you can make amends but
not one amend?
If you have a bunch of odds and ends and get rid of all but one
what do you call it?
If teachers taught, why didnít preachers praught? If a
vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat? Sometimes I think all
speakers should be committed to an asylum for the verbally
insane. In what
language do people recite at a play and play at a recital? Ship
by truck and
send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell?
How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a
wise man and a
wise guy are opposites? You have to marvel at the unique lunacy
language in which your house can burn up as it burns down, in
fill in a form by filling it out and in which an alarm goes
off by going
English was invented by people, not computers, and it reflects
creativity of the human race, which, of course, is not a race
at all That is
why, when the stars are out, they are visible, but when the
lights are out,
they are invisible.
PS. - Why doesnít "Buick" rhyme with